Monday, June 25, 2007

these times they are a-changin'


This weekend my friend Erin came to visit. She landed a teaching job at a college in Ohio this past year, and when her summer sessions are done she's returning home to Denver. She had some time to spare over the weekend so she came back to town to visit a couple of friends. Home base for her was at our place.


For the first time in, oh, 15 months I went "out." I mean "out" like nightlife "out"...drinks and stuff, at a real live bar. Two of them--bars and drinks--actually. It was fun but kind of weird. I am in a very different place these days, being a maternal-type character. I was tired at 9:30 pm (the time we actually left the house) and by 1:45 am when we got back I was practically a zombie. But I didn't want to be the weenie who called it a night so I stuck it out. I even had a couple of drinks, and lo and behold I did not get buzzed. I guess it was because they were spread out over a course of 4 hours.


Anyway, it really was fun to hang out with a girlfriend. And Madison made a new friend...she loved Erin (well, except on day #1 when E was looking at one of M's books and M was upset b/c she couldn't look at it, too...she was trapped in her chair eating breakfast and cried for the next 15 minutes). And I have to be grateful to E for putting up with all three of us...me, M, and Kevin, whose lives are completely centered around parenthood and child rearing. I feel kind of bad that I'm a lousy friend to hang out with at night and that half of what I talk about revolves around my daughter, but that's just where my life is right now. I don't regret it, though. There isn't any place I'd rather be these days.

No comments: