Sunday, March 02, 2014

book recommendation: hair of the corn dog

This post is not going to be about my kids. Instead, it will be about someone else's kids--and family, actually, of an author (AK Turner) I recently discovered and whose writings I thoroughly enjoy.


They say everyone has a twin—I think AK Turner may be mine. Except she’s published books and stuff. And she’s funnier and wittier than I am. I think her headshot shows her wearing glasses while my vision is at this point 20/20. And, well, she may consume a bit more alcohol than I do (but not much).

Ok, maybe we’re not that much alike. But there are definitely similarities, particularly the mom thing, especially since we have young children (girls, even) around the same age, and that’s what initially drew me to the first book I read of hers: Mommy Had a Little Flask. Those stories had me giggling so much that I sought her out on Facebook, liked her author page, and the next thing I knew I had a digital copy of her soon-to-released book Hair of the Corn Dog on my Kindle and the opportunity to review it. I wondered how her tales of family life would measure up to her previous work(s) this time. Would they be funny? Would they entertain? Would I be able to comprehend her train of thought without having a glass or three of wine myself? The answer to each of these questions is a resounding “yes!”

I loved this book. It had me in stitches on at least every third page, most notably during the description of Turner’s daughters’ art camp (where they did almost no art) and as she recalled entertaining encounters with her in-laws. (She and her mother-in-law sneak booze into public events in their coffee mugs and pole dance together. Isn’t that awesome?) And her acknowledgement of farting in bed really had me tooting—er, hooting. Ok, maybe a little of both. (Because you know, we all do it. We just don’t admit it.)
Basically, I absolutely think anyone with a sense of humor should check out this book. I just don’t recommend reading it while trying to create a quiet, soothing environment to coax your baby to sleep in. (My poor guy kept waking up en route to la-la land as my chest heaved repeatedly from trying to suppress my laughter. Attempts to keep this in check made things worse and his naps were crap until I finished the book.)

Five stars from me. And if I’m ever in Boise, I’d love to stop in Humpin’ Hannah’s for a drink with this hilarious woman. 

PS Hopefully this glowing review will negate the fact that I "borrowed" a JPEG of the book from online without permission. :)

No comments: