Tuesday, March 04, 2008

mud pies

We, in the Midwest, were treated to a dose of spring this past Sunday. The temperature hit 60-something and the rest of the snow melted. I cheered this change on wholeheartedly and urged my little family to get ready to hit the outdoors, we were gonna celebrate! So we took a nice long walk and later, after Madison's nap, I took her outside to hang out in the front yard. And I got a glimpse of what this spring and summer is going to be like: within seconds, she was grabbing fistfulls of mud from one of my side flower beds. Now I wouldn't have minded so much, but the tips of my tulip bulbs are actually beginning to break through the soil and I REALLY want to see some color in my garden areas as soon as possible so I was at a crossroads: do I freak out and pamper my plants but dissuade my child from exploring? Or do I say buh-bye to tulip town? I chose an alternative solution, to redirect Miss M towards another special mud spot. I let her dig in the raised bed at the side of the house. There's nothing growing there yet so she was free and clear to muck around in the mud to her little heart's content. She had a blast. I guess I need to make sure she's in really old clothes whenever we're outside this season!

And by the way, our dose of spring was gone the next day. Yesterday was rainy and cold, and today we're supposed to get 2-4 inches of snow. It's snowing right now. This is the longest winter EVER, I swear.

Here's a neat picture my dad took over the weekend:

No comments: