Friday, October 01, 2010

happy bday to Ali!

I know this post is about a month late but hey, better late than never, right? I've been working at night after the girls go to bed so my free time has been pretty limited lately.

It's hard to believe our little Alexandria Leigh has turned one! It's been a wild year. Last year at this time I felt like I was barely keeping my head above water. A was born right as school started, so Kevin wasn't around and I had to learn to deal with the challenges of having a newborn and a preschooler pretty much on my own. That's when I learned the true definition of "mommy guilt." I never felt I could be totally fair to both girls as one always needed something, leaving the other shortchanged somehow. However, we persevered and pulled through that always-difficult first year. And now we've got a 4-year-old who has adjusted--somewhat--to the idea that EVERYTHING doesn't revolve around her (heh) and a 13-month-old who is mostly a happy, energetic baby.

I remember documenting Miss M's achievements on this blog so I'll do the same for A. It's a good way to take notes on what happens when, because as much as you think you'll remember their milestones forever, so much happens so quickly that you just...well, don't!

Ali is a walking pro. I mean, she started at 8 months so it's old school for her now. (I do not say this to brag as walking this early was not a cool achievement--it was a pain, actually!) Her balance has gotten better but her feet still move faster than her body sometimes, so she crashes and burns frequently. At least she has quit bonking her head every time she trips! Also, she:

- can say several words (mama, dada, chee (cheese), baby, bye-bye, duck, and, thanks to Madison, poop.

- now feeds herself with a spoon. This is a new development and she's actually pretty good at it.

- has 8 teeth.

- will not drink milk--cow's milk or any soy-type. She eats lots of yogurt and cheese, however, and she's still nursing a bit so I'm not too worried about it. And since I've got a nursing toddler, this might be a good place to share a link I read today and related to (sans the twins part):
http://familyorganic.blogspot.com/2010/10/breastfeeding-beyond-one.html

- is still kind of a dependent sleeper, but we're working on this slowly.

- is a total bundle of energy. That girl doesn't stop for anything. She's the one we'll have to keep an eye on to make sure she doesn't dash away from us in parking lots, and she's also the one I'm thinking will end up with a broken bone or two during childhood. She's so impulsive. I'm sure this will translate into some good qualities as she grows older, but for now it just makes me tired!

I've written way more than I initially intended, so I'll quiet down and get to the bday pictures.

At the zoo on her birthday (trip with just the four of us)


Birthday party!













Miss M is doing great, too. School has started and this year she really, really loves her 4-year-old preschool class. Many of the same kids are in her class, plus her teacher from last year is with the 4 y/o's this year, so much of it is familiar to her. I can't believe she'll be in kindergarten next year!

It's late and I'm tired (and I've probably typed more than anyone wants to read, anyway) so I'll wrap this up for now. Happy fall, everyone!

2 comments:

Reese&Saige said...

Shes so so sweet!!! Happy Birthday Ali! She looks just like M too! Precious!

faith + family+ food said...

Happy birthday Ali! I love reading your updates Cassie.