Wednesday, November 21, 2007

reality check



Afternoon at Starved Rock State Park


I discovered something about myself the other day: at this point in time, I have very limited interests. I am thinking now that I am a very boring person.

A week ago Kevin and I were both supposed to play a gig together, so we dropped Maddi off at my parents' house a little early so we could have an hour or so of "free" time beforehand. We had dinner (gourmet McDonalds, I'm ashamed to say) and then headed to Barnes & Noble for coffee and leisure reading. Except I couldn't come up with a topic that interested me. In that huge store, the only thing that appealed to me were parenting books and mothering magazines. And I refused to look at any of them, because I felt like since this was my one night out in, like, forever, I needed to focus on something other than being a mom.

Don't get me wrong. I love being a mom, and I love being the nurturing figure in our little family. But I'm more than that, too...or at least I used to be. So now I'm on the lookout for a new hobby or interest, or something. I don't want to be that person who has nothing to say, the conversation killer. I guess it's time to take a look at life and find something to kick my @$$ into gear, eh?

No comments: