Tuesday, November 14, 2006

sleep dep. and other zzzzz's


I wonder sometimes if I will ever sleep for 8 straight hours again. M has been waking up at night again after a nice spell of sleeping 6-7 hours straight. It started when she had a little bit of a cold and escalated from there. For a while she was up 6-8 times a night and I didn't think I'd ever get to sleep again. Now she's back to waking up twice each night now for the most part, while it's not perfect it's a heck of a lot better than getting up every hour. And she's so predictable...depending on what time she goes to bed, she'll sleep 4 hours, usually until 11:30 pm or 12:30 am. I'll get her back to sleep and she'll sleep 4 more hours. Then I'll put her back to sleep and she'll crash out a couple more hours until it's time to get up, usually between 7 and 8 am. Some nights, like last night, I CAN'T get her to go back to sleep unless I bring her to bed with us. The she's out like a light immediately and won't wake up until morning.

While she's great to snuggle up to I don't always love bringing her to bed. I have to sleep in one position as long as she's there. I have one arm around her so she doesn't roll off the bed. I can't put her on my other side as I'm afraid Kevin will smoosh her--he's a pretty violent tosser and turner.

This is probably all my fault anyway, as I'm doing exactly what the "experts" say not to do...nursing her to sleep for naps and bedtime. But the one-on-one time is nice and since I'm home with her all the time anyway I say why the heck not? So I'm invoncenienced for a while, big deal. I'm already seeing just how quickly she's growing up.

But I am starting to think that putting a baby down in her crib and having her fall asleep on her own is a myth.

No comments: